What's On Your Reading List? - Page 2
A Warm Welcome

This site is - 2645 Days Old
A Warm Welcome to Zan's Zone Guest
Please feel free to come and go as you please.
Please tell me if you see any mistakes in the skin so that I can fix it.
Feel free to add a link to your own board, blog or website in your signature.
The size of images added to signatures are restricted to avoid long scrolling passed them.
If you have made a post on your own board and you would like to post a link to it, Post it Here

What's On Your Reading List?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Karinsuezen1
Sappire Member
Sappire Member

CA
Kudos : 15

What's On Your Reading List? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's On Your Reading List?   What's On Your Reading List? - Page 2 Icon_minitime08/04/17, 04:03 am

yeah i know, i don't know why it did all that it did...never thought that it would, i tried to clean it up after i posted...thank you

isn't history so much fun...

that's why i love my local historical society so much..i'm on the board, but i don't get to go to the meetings, problem is that i'm on another board and they meet at the same time....yikes.....so...

but this month i'm not going to their board either, i think that i should be at my condo board..instead..

a condo (someone asked me about it once that lives in england to explain) is an appartment building, ours has 10 floors, others are much, much taller...it's what you guys would call a flat...

although there are those that have two floors....and that....

and a condo, you can either own it, like i do, or rent it....

we did live in a house before, my mother and I, but she got to the point where she didn't want to look after it anymore, so we sold it and came here, we didn't go too far....just two blocks, more or less...so...

I told her, don't make me leave this what used to be a village...so..

that could be it...you had a bad teacher....

i started to like it when i was in grade 8, my teacher didn't do all that much...but...

then in grade nine, i started to excel.....by grade 11 i wasn't that good, because the classes were harder, and i failed grade 13...i think that is what you'd call your A-levels if i'm not mistaken..

we don't do grade 13 anymore they took it away, what happened was during WW1 the kids wanted to stay in school longer so they created grade 13 for the boys, so they wouldn't have to enlist.....and they kept it on the books, i think until about 20 years ago...my neices didn't have to do it...

I went and took later on grade 13 through correspondence, before they got rid of it...and i passed....and one of my teachers was that teacher that i had a few years before in highschool the one that just died....so that was kind of cool....

and then in one of the assignments, (had to get rid of them when i moved).....i got 100....the teacher started, well you said this, and this, and this, i was talking about pictures that were done by the masters what i saw in them.......or something like that...

and he's going, heck, i'm giving you 100...so...

i don't know, i've always had a memory like that.....exact dates.....but i can see your point...sometimes you come upon things later in life, and sometimes it's early

maybe it's because of my grand-father, i used to watch the american news with him, i didn't ask questions about what was going on, now i kind of wish that i did, but still...and then my dad after that would talk to me about history..(grandpa) was gone by then...

so...

i never took social history either.....

i know, i've talked your ear off.....

i'm doing my last round of posts for the night...

talk more tomorrow

Susan 

I know a lady that goes to england every year, she always tries to go to another part of it, well almost every year...she's from there, has been here longer then she was there, but still.....i'm going on a trip in july with her.....i wish i hadn't said anything, because i got this catalogue, and it has another trip at the same time that i'd rather go on....but still....

my mom says it's too close to home, this place where we're going, that's why i shouldn't have said that...but oh well...

I will be going on another trip in September, so i can't do everything...too costly....

Good night, it's been great finding out about the people on this site.....

:cheers:
Back to top Go down
Zandranna
Owner
Owner
Zandranna

Name : Sandy
UK
Kudos : 140
Birthday : 1st Nov

PostSubject: Re: What's On Your Reading List?   What's On Your Reading List? - Page 2 Icon_minitime08/04/17, 10:09 am

In my day state schools only taught us until we were 15, then we had to leave and go to work.  Nowadays there seem to be carreer students that are in education in one form or another until they are well into their 20s.

Mostly I think you have to catch children very young to instil an interest of a subject in them.

My elder Sister took me to the Ballet when I was about 12.  I loved it and still do.  The school took us to a concert at about the same age, and I adore classical music.  But the love of social history I think I got from my elders in the family.  I was brought up very Victorian because of one of my Grandmothers.  Another Grandmother loved to talk about when she was young and I could have listened to her all day.  That's without my Mother telling me of her experiences during the war.  I was thirsty for first hand knowledge of all of that.

Both my Grandmothers were in service from the age of 12, so listening to their lives was fantastic.

Am I reading it right, that you are going on a trip and coming to England?  If so, which part.
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/SandyYatesUK
Spherical
Side Kick
Side Kick
Spherical

Name : Martha
AU
Kudos : 129
Mood : Recovering & Relaxing
Birthday : 3rd March

PostSubject: Re: What's On Your Reading List?   What's On Your Reading List? - Page 2 Icon_minitime08/04/17, 12:27 pm

I did a lot of my history learning through travel when I lived in Holland and I would visit the old cities and get among the local people there; away from the touristy spots.
Other then loving living here in Australia I would have loved to live in Spain Smile

No new books added as I am still reading Jeff Brown's book.
Back to top Go down
http://spherical.forumotion.com http://sphericals.weebly.com https://gab.ai/SphericMartha
Karinsuezen1
Sappire Member
Sappire Member

CA

PostSubject: Re: What's On Your Reading List?   What's On Your Reading List? - Page 2 Icon_minitime08/04/17, 02:29 pm

that's the only way to do it martha, get to where the average tour doesn't go, among the locals, otherwise you don't learn anything i believe

Susan 

70 books read 2013
73 books read 2014
75 books read 2015
89 books read 2016
66 books read 2017
Back to top Go down
Zandranna
Owner
Owner
Zandranna

UK

PostSubject: Re: What's On Your Reading List?   What's On Your Reading List? - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/07/17, 12:59 am

At the moment I am reading The Book of Enoch.
Back to top Go down
Karinsuezen1
Sappire Member
Sappire Member

CA

PostSubject: Re: What's On Your Reading List?   What's On Your Reading List? - Page 2 Icon_minitime20/07/17, 03:25 am

i'm reading a mystery called devonshire scream

it's from a series, of mystery writers, and all that

i used to read alot of romance, i still am, but i'm starting to get into mysteries as well

susan
Back to top Go down
Zandranna
Owner
Owner
Zandranna

UK

PostSubject: Re: What's On Your Reading List?   What's On Your Reading List? - Page 2 Icon_minitime04/12/17, 12:24 pm

As it's Christmas I intend to sit down and read Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" as I do every year.

The films are great but you simply can't beat the book.

I first discovered this book by accident when I was a child. By reading this I had found Charles Dickens for the first time and now absolutely adore all of his works.
Back to top Go down
Karinsuezen1
Sappire Member
Sappire Member

CA

PostSubject: Re: What's On Your Reading List?   What's On Your Reading List? - Page 2 Icon_minitime04/12/17, 02:31 pm

75 books read 2013
70 books read 2014
73 books read 2015
83 books read 2016
159 books read 2017

thanks

i learned to love it, really in grade 8, don't know why, but...it has to be in you, i didn't really have my teacher teach it, in grade 8, but it was like the more projects that i did, the more i liked it, so.....

but lol..on other subjects if i didn't like the teacher, then i didn't do well at all

susan 
Back to top Go down
Zandranna
Owner
Owner
Zandranna

UK

PostSubject: Re: What's On Your Reading List?   What's On Your Reading List? - Page 2 Icon_minitime05/12/17, 10:39 am

If one is introduced to the classics at just the right time as a child then you will continue to love them.

I found a childrens Shakespeare of the comedies written as stories when young.  When I was old enough I read the real plays and adore them.
Back to top Go down
Karinsuezen1
Sappire Member
Sappire Member

CA

PostSubject: Re: What's On Your Reading List?   What's On Your Reading List? - Page 2 Icon_minitime05/12/17, 01:10 pm

that sounds interesting

i have a whole collection of shaskespeare in three books......

susan
Back to top Go down
Karinsuezen1
Sappire Member
Sappire Member

CA

PostSubject: Re: What's On Your Reading List?   What's On Your Reading List? - Page 2 Icon_minitime12/12/17, 02:32 am

just saying hello

susan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's On Your Reading List?   What's On Your Reading List? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's On Your Reading List?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2